• Spring Break Heaven is a Typewriter Repair Shop

    I'm a lucky woman and I know it. I just happen to live in a place where there are more than a few old-school typewriter repairmen still plying their trade. While making the rounds with my Tower President, I ran into a local man who told me the place to go for typewriter repair of any unusual kind is definitely Acme Business Machines in North Little Rock, Arkansas.

    There is no link to the shop because, well . . . Acme doesn't have a website OR an email address. They just have a shop and a telephone.

    Since Acme is only about 20 minutes from my house, I just loaded up my janky Olympia Socialite and headed out. Three hours later, I drove home with my eyes bugging out and a 1948 Smith Corona Silent in the back seat.

    I'm not going to give you a play-by-play right now. I should have taken a camera with me to Acme Business Machines. Who knew it would be such a typewriter haven? I've got a return trip scheduled to pick up the Socialite, and you can bet this time the trip will be fully documented. Stay tuned.

    I typed on every single machine the owner would let me near, and he just kept handing me paper. When he opened the Smith Corona Silent case I thought I'd burst into tears - it was so beautiful, perfect, NEW looking. After typing on everything in the store, the touch of the Silent was music. Every typewriter site I've ever visited touts the old SC Silents as the best typers, but you really must get your hands on one and type a line or ten to fully appreciate the soft insistence of its keys. Line after line the machine functioned as if it planned to live forever, and it just might. This machine is tight and controlled. It has substance.

    Of course I left with it.

    I typed that night on it for hours and I could have kept going. The trick, as Will Davis at the Typewriter Forum told me, is to get the machine at the perfect height. The keys are more upright, so the machine needs to sit a little lower for comfort. Once I found the perfect table, there was serious typewriter mojo.

    I call her Mamie.


    Photobucket

    2 comments → Spring Break Heaven is a Typewriter Repair Shop

    1. I have an old Oliver#9 typewriter, still in pretty good condition, needs a carriage return cord, new ribbon, cleaning and lubrication. Looking for someone who could refurbish it for me. I live in Heber Springs Arkansas, go to Little Rock every now and then.

    2. Looking for a typewriter repair shop please contact me at ray.hhfurniture@gmail.com. Will be in little rock on Feb 15th. wold like to drop it off then.

    Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...