• This One Looks Good


    Just found an interview with Dennis Baron, author of A Better Pencil: Readers, Writers, and the Digital Revolution. Yes, the interview was in Inside Higher Ed, and yes, it has an academic edge. But just look at this portion of the interview:
    I’ve always loved writing and its technologies. My earliest memories of writing include typing on an old Remington portable on the floor of the living room when I was 5 or 6. I can still see the ink-clogged e’s and o’s. I also remember my first fountain pen, a marbled-maroon Esterbrook that I got for my 8th birthday. I remember the smell of the ink when I filled the pen (no cartridge refills back then), tangy, metallic, kind of like blood. And my first ball point, a Paper Mate in two-tone green, the same colors as my parents’ 1955 Chevy (I later inherited that car, and while I always hated the colors on the car, on the pen they were magical).
    You can read the rest of Serena Golden's interview with the author here.

    Clearly, we need a book club. I hope a few more of you snag a copy of this soon, because this looks like it warrants discussion.

    2 comments → This One Looks Good

    1. Great find! I'm on the hunt for that book! Thanks Monda

    2. Typewriter Book Club sounds like a fabulous idea. Except some of us don't know what a book club actually entails, because all our mother's book clubs ever really did was play Ouja Board and drink heavily.

    Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...