• Maybe I Just Need a Better Fountain Pen

    ...or, why don't my pencasts look as gorgeous as everyone else's?

    image


    VIDEO: The Twenty-Six Old Characters. A history of writing and how to use a fountain pen, brought to you by Sheaffer. Note: I tried to embed this and it jumped out in front of everything, taking over like The Video That Ate My Layout. Scary. Embed with care.

    7 comments → Maybe I Just Need a Better Fountain Pen

    1. I like your handwriting. But I can't seem to find a fountain pen that's actually refillable as opposed to trying to refill the cartridges...I don't think I'm trying hard enough. So I'll sit here and be jealous of your scribblecast instead.

    2. Oh, the Parker 45 is also a cartridge pen. It's not very chic, really. I'm probably too addicted to Parker gel ballpoints to ever truly go over to the other side.

    3. So, if I am looking to avoid any post-holiday spending, I should not watch that vid. Right?

      You're back!!!

    4. Few things in life can't be improved by a little wild spending in the stationery aisle.

    5. The video makes me crave a good 40s/50s Sheaffer. There's also a splendid piece in there that talks about the permanence of a written document. Sigh.

      I made a small side trip into Little Rock a couple of weeks ago and stopped by Vanness Pen Shop. Someday I'll own that white marbled Parker Duofold. Someday.

    6. That was a fun film to watch; thanks, Monda, for posting it.

      I'm fond of my Pelikan M100 piston-fill pen; they're moderately priced via the Internet, although the higher-end Pelikans can get pricey. And I do love the retro-look of those old Schaeffer's and Parkers.

      Does anyone know if there's a modern piston-fill pen made in that retro style? I like using bottle inks rather than cartridges, kind of like fresh ground, locally roasted coffee vs Folgers.

      ~Joe

    7. I've always wanted to try a Pelikan, Joe. The draw for me is that they're so light in the hand. The higher-end pens are mesmerizing.

      I think it's time Parker and Sheaffer put out a retro line, period. The new Parkers are hideous.

    Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...